Do You Need a Dryer Repair? – How to Save Money!
Clothes dryer repair starts with understanding the basics of all clothes dryers. Most clothes dryers are standalone units with some clothes dryers integrated into a single unit with front loading washing machines.
Doing some basic maintenance will save on your dryer repair.
Fire safety is important so always check and clean the lint filters, this is single biggest cause of problems and major cause of house fires.
It is a common source of dryer overheating and fire is not uncommon, so please be careful.
Always listen for loud and unusual noises. Sometimes they are due to debris left in pockets such as screws, or coins rolling around in the drum, and sometimes even metal buttons make a scratching noise. I know as I have also done this many times.
More serious signs of impending dryer failure come from the drum bearings, the fans or blowers, the drum rollers and the idler pulleys.
That burning smell you always notice is either lint or drive belts failing. In mosst cases its tyhe lint buildup and if bad enough will cover heating elements as well.
ABOUT CLOTHES DRYERS
Kenmore Dryers Information All about Kenmore Dryers. How to select, buy, check and troubleshoot before calling the serviceman
Kenmore Dryer Repair All about Kenmore Dryer Repair and Troubleshooting. How to check and troubleshoot before calling the serviceman
Kenmore Dryer Troubleshooting All about Kenmore Dryer Troubleshooting. How to check and troubleshoot before calling the serviceman. Clothes dryer-repair – How to save money!
Dryer-Repair – The Dryer Will Not Operate
- Always check that the power is switched on. The dryer power indicator light will show this.
- The door is not closed properly. If the door interlock switch is not activated nothing will work. Open and close the door and to make sure it is, a really common fault.
- The start switch hasn’t been pressed or turned.
- You have not selected your dryer program
Dryer-Repair – The Clothes Dryer Will Not Heat Up
- The heating circuit fuses or circuit breakers have tripped. If they blow again then you have a faulty or blown heating element. Do not keep resetting and tripping the breaker
- The heating element thermostat is faulty.
- The heating elements are faulty. In some cases the wire connections may have burnt off. Don’t open the back of the dryer until the dryer is unplugged and power is off!
- The overheat cutout switch may have tripped out or be faulty. Some machines also have a replaceable thermal fuse.
Dryer Repair – The Dryer is Overheating
- The thermostat is faulty. Don’t use the heater until you get it repaired or you will end up with clothes shrunk to Ken or Barbie doll sizes when it overheats.
- The filters are clogged up with lint and need cleaning
Dryer-repair – The drum Will Not Rotate
- The door is not closed properly. If the door interlock switch is not activated nothing will work. Open and close the door and make sure, sometimes it just sticks a little. They also work loose so check that it is secure.
- The start switch hasn’t been pressed or turned. Easy mistake to make.
- The drum rubber drive belt has stretched or failed. Verify that the drive motor is turning
- The drum drive motor has burnt out. It will be preceeded by unusual grinding noises first as bearings fail in most cases.
- The drum is seized. This may be due to mechanical causes or bearing seizures. It will be preceeded by unusual grinding noises first. With belts off the drum should turn easily by hand.
- Check the idler arm and pulley, along with the support rollers
Dryer Repair – The dryer has slow drying times
- The cycle timer or program circuit board may be faulty
- The dryer thermostat is faulty.
- Where multiple heating elements are installed, one or more may have failed
- The outlet vents and ducting may be obstructed or clogged
Dryer Repair – The dryer leaves clothes still damp
- The heater is not coming up to temperature and the thermostat or heating elements may be faulty
- The air ducts may be blocked.
- The lint filter or screen may be blocked.
- The drying settings on control switch are incorrectly set
- The blower fan is not operating
- The dryer drum drive belt is slipping and the drum is running slowly
Have A Great Question or Story About This Topic?
Do you have a great question or story about this? Share it!